STEP 2: CLEANING LADY
Time to play dress up!
So now you know why you want to create a fair wardrobe. To all naughty girls who skipped the first step; go back to Step 1.
Step 2 is a fun one, at least if you like to play dress up. I think you should just make this your favourite step in this conscious fashion journey and become the cleaning lady you always dreamed off! Okay, it might not be the most glamorous role, but it is definitely a highly appreciated one.
Knowing what you still need in your wardrobe starts with knowing exactly what you have. Because let’s face it, we don’t need 20 striped tops. [Although sometimes I cannot completely agree with this.]
Need some tips for this one? Have a look below!
WHERE TO START?
Good question, I neverrrr know! But what I do know is that you will have to clear the plans for the day.
My tips for perfect cleaning:
- Start by putting on your favourite music and get a drink. Or two. Nothing alcoholic would be a good idea.
- Take everything radically out of your closet and throw it on the bed (or ground if it doesn’t fit). All your clothes, accessories, shoes. With everything I mean everything! We not only do this just because it feels good, now you really have to finish this project as well.
- Clean your closet with eco stuff ofcourse. Boring.
- Get some food. Like a really nice avocado toast or something. I mean you will have a heavy task afterwards.
- When you get back, you pick up your most precious pieces, the ones you can’t live without, and put them where they belong, in your closet.
- Start making four piles. Do this per category so you can compare what you have; dresses, tops, blouses and so on. Be critical here!
CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT: this includes (basic) items you love, wear often and fit well
WHAT’S UP WITH THESE: you’re not completely sure why they are in your closet
BAD FIT + GOOD CONDITION: says it all
TRASH: bad condition, pieces that had its best time; no one wants to have this
- It’s clear you can put the ‘Can’t Live Without’ pile directly into your closet. And put the ‘Trash’ pile in a trash bag.
- For the ‘Bad Fit + Good Condition’ pile you can start organising a party and give them a second change. Look below for the details.
- Have a piece of chocolate and some tea. Maybe you like to
read somethingcheck your instagram.
- Finally, take a good look at the last pile ‘What’s Up With These’. And think; what’s up with these? Go through every single item and think will I wear this within the next 6 months? If not, than it is time to say goodbye.
Don’t have the motivation to start? Maybe it helps, if I say that you might find a reason to throw a party.
A clean closet is a clear mind. Lets keep it that way!
WHAT TO DO NEXT?
Now that you cleaned out your closet, it is time to let some things go, we all know you can do it. It is time to give them a second life.
What you could do:
** Good to know: It is better not to throw it in one of the containers on the street or sent it to big organisations that will send it to 3rd world countries. Because you don’t know what happens to it (or do your research). Most of the time 3rd world countries are not happy with receiving all those trash bags filled with clothes and it will end up in their landfills and they are not able to recycle it.