I have always believed in becoming more sustainable within every aspect of my life. It all started with fashion, but that followed rapidly by a plant based lifestyle and traveling closer to home (when it will be possible again, of course). The same counts for my home decor and lifestyle items. I tend to go for vintage, but with home textiles I prefer some crispy fresh items. We don’t realise it, but we use a lot of textiles in our bed and bathroom as well and using good quality and natural/ sustainable materials is equally as important as our clothing items. We use bathing items daily and sleep in our beds 8 to 9 hours every single night. So let’s talk sustainable bed linen today.
You might already know that linen is one of my favourite fabrics. Not only for summer dresses and blouses, but I love to sleep under it as well and there are a couple of reasons for that. Besides linen being one of the most sustainable fabrics (when grown and treated in such a manner), my main reason is because linen is great for every season. It’s a natural fabric, that will keep you warm in winter and is breathable for those hot summer days.
What to look for when buying sustainable bed linen
- Go for a 100% Linen. This way it’s easier to recycle, and it makes a total difference in impact and quality.
- Try to buy from brands that take sustainability seriously.
Review Yumeko Bed linen
If you’re looking for a great option for sustainable bed linen, then the sustainable bed sets by Yumeko are a really great choice. I actually had been dreaming about their washed linen sets for a few years so I couldn’t be more happy to try their sustainable bed linen set.
I had an Ikea linen bed set when I was still a student, and the moment I got it I decided I didn’t want anything else but linen bed sheets. However, I want to support sustainable brands and products who try to make a difference, so I tried a sustainable option and now that I’ve tried this linen set of Yumeko, I can really feel the difference. It’s a whole other level. There is such a big difference in the feel and quality of the fabric. It feels more rich, softer and stronger all at the same time. I can see and feel that it’s definitely made of better quality. As we spend so much time in our beds, I think it’s definitely worth a little investment that’s why I would definitely recommend putting this on your wish list!
Sustainable bed linen from Yumeko:
- As you may already know, linen is made from Flax. This is a very strong plant, which is naturally pest resistant. This means that there is very little to no chemical treatment necessary. This is a huge advantage compared to other fabrics.
- To turn flax into linen, 90% less water is needed for the production of the fabric linen compared to the production of regular cotton.
- Flax also grows in Western Europe, which means the production needs to follow certain guidelines and rules in order to be sustainable and ethical. These guidelines also insure that the quality of the linen is higher than sources anywhere else in the world.
Sustainable linen bedding sheets not for you?
Yumeko has a large selection of sustainable options for bathing and sleeping. Next to their washed linen collection, they also make use of 100% organic and fair-trade percal cotton or a Tencel™-cotton mix. And don’t worry, all items are produced with care in a sustainable way.
Since 2010, Yumeko’s dream and core mission is to change the world sleeping. Yumeko is a Dutch brand that sells high quality sustainable bedding and home accessories. Yumeko bedding and bathing accessories wish to make you feel more comfortable and make the world a cleaner and fairer place. The brand uses the best and most natural materials. All products have a Fairtrade certificate and have made it through their strict selection protocol.
This set was gifted to me by Yumeko, however I’m genuinely super excited. You should see me sleep. hehe.2